Negotiate compensation from utilities companies

Published February 11th, 2014

Farmers and landowners who are approached by a utility company regarding access to their land for apparatus should be aware of their rights to compensation.

Chartered surveyor Hollie Savage at Berrys says that anyone with a right over land that is affected by a utility scheme is entitled to make a claim for compensation.

“Early attention is needed once notification of a scheme is received from a utility company,” said Hollie, who is based at Berrys’ Shrewsbury Business Park office.

“Instructing an agent to act on your behalf can maximise a claim and reduce disturbance to property as measures can be put in place to prevent issues rather than deal with the consequences afterwards,” she advised.

Fees for an agent are covered by the utility company so it makes sense to appoint an agent to represent you at the earliest opportunity.


“It is important to meet on-site before the scheme commences and you should ensure that the route and location of any utility apparatus is considered as this could affect development opportunities in the future and hence impact on the potential value of your property or interfere with farming practices.”

“If the land affected is used for livestock you should agree the exact specification of any fencing and water facilities required beforehand so you are not disadvantaged by the work.”

“If it is a new scheme an easement payment is due to the landowner even if they have incurred no crop loss or damage to property,” she added.

For further advice on compensation or issues with utility companies contact Hollie Savage at Berrys on 01743 267067 or email

For more information...

Visit our relevant website page: Utilities